I will be the first to admit that when it comes to eating proper meals, I am HORRIBLE at taking care of myself when my husband is out of town. It’s normally cereal or nothing for me. The hubs has been out of town this week on a golfing trip (which he totally deserves), but before he left he made me promise that I would take some money out of his account and buy myself some food for the week. That was last Saturday morning…so yesterday afternoon, Wednesday, I decided I should probably do that. Yeah…he comes home today. Whoops.
I will also be the first to admit that I HATE going to the grocery store without a list and a plan. I need to know what I’m making and what I’m buying before I go or it’s just an all out crap-shoot. (Translation: I come home with three boxes of cereal and some popcorn.) At the time I was craving Mexican, and beans (which you should know if you saw my 5 Bean Slow Cooker Chili Soup), but also smoked turkey sausage, which I normally put in some type of skillet meal. Earlier in the week, when I should have shopped, I had wanted beans and rice. All of this was floating around in my head when it hit me, like it normally does…COMBINE THEM! (That’s typically how my recipes are created…) What I came up with was this super yummy Turkey Sausage Taco Skillet Recipe. It’s fast, easy, and delicious. What more could you ask for?!?!
This recipe is very simple to make, only calling for Minute Rice, a can of black beans, a can of Mexi-corn, some turkey sausage (found near the hot dogs), and taco seasoning. The hardest part of this recipe is boiling the water for the rice. Just slice and start to brown the sausage (it’s fully cooked, so this is really only for flavor), throw in your beans and corn, and stir in your cooked rice and taco seasoning. Let it simmer for a minute or two to incorporate the flavors, and BOOM! You have dinner!
- 13 oz package of Smoked Turkey Sausage (such as Butterball)
- 1 - 15 oz can seasoned Black Beans, partially drained
- 1 - 11 oz can Mexi-Corn, drained
- 2 cups uncooked Minute/Instant Rice
- 1 packet Taco Seasoning
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Slice turkey sausage into even pieces of desired thickness.
- Add a small amount of oil to a large skillet and add sausage. Begin browning over medium to medium-high heat.
- Once sausage has started to brown, add black beans and corn. Stir.
- Gently stir in rice and taco seasoning until fully mixed.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes to incorporate flavors.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add even more flavor with a can of diced tomatoes and chili peppers.
Do you know what my absolute favorite part about skillet meals is? One dish to clean up!
Are you a fan of skillet and one-dish meals? What’s your favorite one to make? What’s your family’s favorite?
Linking Up Here!: Block Party, Sunday Soiree with Craft-O-Maniac, The DIY’ers, Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Take-A-Look Tuesday, Link Party Tuesdays, Social Media 2-For-Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesdays, Empty Your Archive, The Blogger’s Digest, Wow Me Wednesday, Pretty Wednesday, Live Laugh Linky Thursday, The Party Bunch, Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays, The Weekend re-Treat, Project Pin-It, Craft Frenzy Friday, Frugal Friday, I’m Lovin’ It Fridays, Link Party Palooza, Strut Your Stuff Saturdays, Finding the Pretty & Delicious, The Makers